The problem with the installation of the latest kernel

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Sun Jun 19 04:15:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:27:03PM +0530, Prashant Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> make O=../linux-2.6.39.1-install defconfig
>
> Try using $make oldconfig instead of defconfig. This will reuse your
> current ubuntu kernel config file.

If I read the code correctly, make oldconfig will not use the config
from /boot/, but just but just use a default configuration in case
you don't have a .config in your build directory.

So from my (limited) experience you would first need to do a
	cp /boot/config*`uname -r` ~/linux-2.6.39.1-install/.config

Another option is make localmodconfig, which includes all the modules
that are loaded into the new configuration.

HTH,
	Jonathan Neuschäfer