3.0.0-rc? kernel suddenly loses sound on my ubuntu 11.10 system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 17 09:44:57 EDT 2011

  i've been asking about this on the ubuntu list recently, but i
figured i'd throw this out here as well to see if anyone else has a
solution to this.

  recently, i did a release upgrade of my ubuntu 10.10 system, on
which i was running a hand-rolled 2.6.39-rc7-dirty kernel, for which
sound worked just fine (intel hda).  i also identically configured and
built a newer 3.0.0-rcsomething kernel, but when i boot that newer
kernel, i have no sound.  in particular, when i go under
System->Preferences->Sound, the list of sound output devices is empty.

  if i reboot to the slightly older kernel, sound is back.  so the
difference is clearly something in the kernel, and i'm wondering if
anyone has run into this and has any suggestions or pointers to
ALSA-related changes that might be causing this.  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca