Problem with newly compiled kernel 2.6.39 (initrd.img not being created)

Naman shekhar Mishra namanshekharmishra2 at yahoo.in
Sat Jun 11 13:45:38 EDT 2011

My platform is Intel 32 bit.

I am using kernel 2.6.35-22 generic for these steps and the newly compiled kernel is 2.6.39

Here's my steps:
$make defconfig

$make -j2 CC="ccache gcc"
$make modules
#make modules_install
#make install
#update-grub

After these sequence of steps, I tried to boot into the new kernel and there was nothing (except for the blinking caps lock) .So I checked and there was no initrd.img in /boot. So I tried using mkinitranfs and it created the ramdisk and then I booted but still it won't work.
Though I can boot into recovery mode but the shell prompt is strange like (initramfs)...