mmap on a block device

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:53:28 EDT 2011

Hi Kaustubh,

Replying to all this time...

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Kaustubh Ashtekar <ksashtekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Done. mmap was successful.
> Is it a good idea to mmap a block device. A block device being much bigger
> than the available virtual address space, I will have to map it multiple
> times while working on various parts of the block device.

What it means to mmap any device is quite arbitrary and entirely up to
the driver writer.

All that mmaping means is to take some memory that the driver
allocated in kernel space and make that memory available into user
space. The contents of the memory is entirely up to the driver. Maybe
you put statistics in there? Maybe you make it map in the data storage
your block device is front-ending? It's up to the driver writer to
decide what goes there and whether it makes sense or not.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada