picking an ARM board with jtag for debugging

luca ellero lroluk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 03:04:12 EDT 2011

On 31/05/2011 16.39, Christopher Harvey wrote:
>   I'm looking for an ARM board with a cortex a9 mpcore with a good
>   solution for jtag debugging under linux.
>
>   I have a beagle and a pandaboard sitting in front of me, but the beagle
>   only has cortex a8 and the pandboard jtag situation looks pretty dismal.
>   (You need to buy and download a lot of software). Cost really isn't an
>   issue, (under 1000$) but good gdb support is critical.
>
>   I need jtag specifically because kgdb doesn't start up soon enough for
>   me.
>
>   Anybody here doing ARM linux development with jtag?
>
>   thanks,
>   -Chris

Hi Christopher,
why not give a look at OpenOCD? Some guys (me included) have sent some
patches to support Cortex A9 and Panda. Development version has now
(basic) support for Pandaboard.
Anyway you have to use development version (git clone
git://repo.or.cz/openocd.git) since 0.4.0 stable release hasn't good
support for Cortex A8/A9.
Furthermore, if you use git version you can also contribute to improve
cortex-A* support, which is always very welcome ;-)
I'm just about to write an HowTo to explain how to use OpenOCD on Panda.
I will publish it on my site soon.

regards
Luca Ellero