Using RPMBUILD

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Thu Jul 28 04:22:22 EDT 2011

Hi!

On Mit, 2011-07-27 at 12:31 -0400, Rodger Swann wrote:
[....]
> I have to use rpmbuild to build my kernel.   I also have to apply
> patches and replace source code in the kernel source tree.   I have
> figured out how to patch the files that I need patched by adding   Patch
> blah and then AppyPatch in the spec file.  I then created a sym link to
> the patch file in the rpmbuild SOURCES directory.
>
> Now on to replacing the code in the source tree.  I have tried
> untaring/unzipping the kernel source , putting in my source and
> retarring and zipping, I have tried symlinking it, etc.  But each time
> the build directory contains source code that is not the code that is
> what I inserted and it is not clear to me where it is coming from.   I

Apart from thing, that that is more of an rpmbuild than kernel problem:
The build directory (the one under */BUILD) is every time created from
scratch (unless some options are used).
In the .spec file, you have sources - usually a tar.gz - which gets
extracted by some command in the .spec file.
And than, the patches are applied as listed with the %patch line.

You should actually see in the shell, what the .spec file is actually
doing.

> am fairly frustrated so if anyway has encountered this or knows how to
> do it I would appreciate the help.    Spoon feeding is not required a I
> will gladly rtfm but I will need a nudge in the right direction.

	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
                     LUGA : http://www.luga.at