Regarding remap_pfn_page

mindentropy mindentropy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:42:59 EDT 2011

>So your question is rather more confined : Whether you can allocate
>physically cotigous memory of 16MB, right? Mapping is not an issue
>here. proper error handling will anyways tell you whether you
>succeeded or not. I think with kmalloc, you may not get memory larger
>than 4MB.

Yes mapping was never an issue. Contiguous physical frames is an issue.
kmalloc limitation is 128KB. __get_page_frames  with order higher that 10
would have higher chances of failing. I guess I need to grab as much
contiguous memory as possible during boot time. My /proc/buddyinfo on a 512MB
RAM machine paints a depressing picture of contiguous chunks.