Need help understanding memory models, cpu modes and address translation

Kaustubh Ashtekar ksashtekar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 01:13:13 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Actually I have read that book. But when i started reading other books such as those on assembly
> they had these concpets of Real Mode , Protected Mode , Flat Memory model, Segmented Memory model which are specific to intel 32-bit architecture
> and which has got me highly confused. So I am looking for references that explain these concepts in depth.

What I suggest is. You should download a datasheet for Intel 8086,
designed by Intel in late 1970's.  Read espacially the memory
organization part. This will give you some basic understanding of read
mode and segmentation stuff and how it all started. The current
processor manuals are too complex to start with.

Link:
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/808x/datashts/8086/