Need help: How to set .RECIPEPREFIX variable to whitespaces

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 03:52:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

How to set .RECIPEPREFIX variable to whitespace(say 4 whitespces) , so that
make uses this particular set of characters to identify the recipe for
a particular target.
In my $HOME/.vimrc file, for code indentation purpose, I've put the
following entries
to replace tabs with 4 whitespaces:

<<<snip from my $HOME/.vimrc file>>>
"replace tabs with spaces
set expandtab
set shiftwidth=4
set tabstop=4
<<<snip from my $HOME/.vimrc file>>>

but the above will cause problem in case you write your own makefile
for a kernel module,
because now the tab stroke will be replaced by 4 whitespaces which
'make' will not understand.
Quoting from 'make' manual,
"Please note: you need to put a tab character at the beginning of
every recipe line!"

Seems .RECIPEPREFIX will come for resuce, but as of now I don't know
how to use it
to fix my problem.

Regards,
Amit

--
Life is elsewhere. Cross Frontiers. Fly away.

- Salman Rushdie