Need basics of booting process

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sun Jul 10 12:41:01 EDT 2011

On 7/10/2011 10:37 AM, Niamathullah sharief wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I want to know the basics linux booting process. I googled for this
> but i didn't find the detailed things anywhere. I want to know the
> boot process including the hardware work flow. Can anyone give me the
> detailed tutorial to learn about this.

First, when you power up the system the bios goes through a POST, which
is power-on self test. This just checks that hardware is working, etc.
Then it looks for a boot sektor, which must be 512 bytes long and end
with a magic number, and loads the kernel. From there, you can look at
the head.s assembly, and I think someone posted a tutorial here a while
back--maybe they'll post that again.

> Thank you

Take care,
Ty
my website:
http://tds-solutions.net
my blog:
http://tds-solutions.net/blog
skype: st8amnd127
My programs don't have bugs; they're randomly added features!