Problem in compiling a kernel module

Ponkumaran Annadurai aspkumaran at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:54:35 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Ponkumaran Annadurai
> <aspkumaran at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also I couldn't understand the script (particularly $(MAKE) - what does
> the
> > variable stands for? also the rest of the code after
> "depend.depend.dep").
> > If you can explain the script, I shall know how to edit the script for my
> > file.
>
> Edit the Makefile and add the following echo's
>
> `default:
>    echo $(MAKE)
>    echo $(KERNELDIR)
>    echo $(PWD)
>     $(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD)
>
> You can try echoing the values of the variables. The $(MAKE) is the
> make command used.

Thanks sir, It worked. But still I couldn't understand what is the wrong in
the makefile given in TLDP.org, also the if statements as said in the
previous mail.
One more thing can I install the new kernel in a virtual machine like
virtual box? if so how can I do it? coz I can't access Internet from that
kernel. Suggesting some measures will be helpful.

--
thanks,
kumaran