scrubbing in linux volume manager

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 23:34:45 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, sanoj <k.u.sanoj at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think he meant regular "disk scrubbing" to zero out the contents.
>> >

>> >Disk Scrubbing typically refers to the verification of disk drives
>> against media errors.
>>

> hello,
>
> I referred to scrubbing which is used in RAID 4 / 5, which is used for
> recovery of corrupted sectors in a stripe.
>
> thanks,
> sanoj

It's news to me that LVM (device mapper) supports raid4/5 at all.  So
I'm not surprised it doesn't support raid error scrubbing.

MD does support raid4 and raid5.  It also supports scrubbing.  (I
don't think they call it scrubbing.  man mdadm should help you.)

LVM (device mapper) does offer raid1 support and in theory could
support scrubbing for that, but my guess is that raid support in
device mapper is just very immature and it has no real reason for not
being supported.

Greg