printk(KERN_x...) vs dev_x()

Sutharshan Ramamoorthy / Prod srmt at cypress.com
Fri Jan 21 01:38:12 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm submitting patches to linux kernel.
I'd like to know, Which is the acceptable practice to print debug messages?

At some places in the code, there is no valid 'dev' pointer to pass to
dev_xx() macro, at such places is it ok to use printk(KERN_XXX...)?

Please let me know correct format of print messages.

Thanks,
Sutharsan.

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.