Memory leak with dev_add_pack()

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Sun Jan 23 07:49:09 EST 2011

Hi!

On 11:40 Sun 23 Jan     , Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> * On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 08:18:05AM +0100 Michael Blizek wrote:
> > - Which user grows is /proc/slabinfo? (If this file is emply or does not
> >   exist, you may meed to recompile the kernel to use slab instead of
> >   sl[b-z]b)
>
> Thank you for the pointer, it might help.
>
> The objects which have changed the most on a mildly loaded network are:
>
> 25000 buffer_head
>  5000 dentry
>  5000 ext3_inode_cache
>  5000 size-64
>
> The number if the number of more active object after approx. 20h of
> letting it run on the mildly loaded network.
>
> Note that the ext3_inode_cache might have grown because I was regularly
> writing a new log file from slabinfo (slabinfo --once > slabinfo.`date
> +...`)
>
> Thus, I would expect I am leaking buffer_head.

The funny point is that buffer_head belongs to the filesystem subsystem. What
file systems are you using? Could it be that your code just triggers the
memory leak, because data is logged to disk, e.g. to /var/log/kern.log ?

I have tried your program on my virtual machine (2.6.28) and could see any
leak, but maybe data is leaked very slowly...

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com