Running kmemleak without sysfs support

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:33:36 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Catalin Marinas
<catalin.marinas at arm.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 10:41 +0000, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> Can I make any use of kmemcheck if I don't have sysfs
>> kernel support enabled?
>
> Kmemleak can scan output the memory and report the number of leaked
> objects but if you need to get additional information about the leaked
> objects (like backtrace), you need debugfs enabled.

How is this reporting done?  It will appear in dmesg output?

> DEBUG_FS doesn't seem to be dependent on SYSFS but I never tried to
> enable one without the other (you might be able to mount the DEBUG_FS
> somewhere other than /sys/kernel/debug/).

I see. I was using 2.6.32 where it seems that debugfs depended on sysfs.
Decoupling was done some time later [1].

thanks,
Daniel.

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/8/5/4603446