anyone know of a resolution for the intel i915 "black screen" issue?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jan 15 05:10:56 EST 2011

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> >  victory is mine!  just built a new kernel from latest git pull,
> > changed nothing, installed, booted and it works.  no idea what's
> > changed or what fixed it.
>
> Confirmed! I had the same problem on my two intel machines. At first
> I thought it was a misconfiguration of mine (X started and virtual
> consoles worked from then on, but I had no boot messages after the
> initial kernel mode setting). Glad to see this fixed.

  are you confirming that you had the same problem, or that you can
see it's fixed?  the blackout clearly started early in the boot, when
the kernel tried to switch to high-res mode to continue printing
kernel messages.  suddenly, with a kernel based on a pull from the
latest merge window, that switch works just fine and booting is good.
but i still have no idea which commit resolved that.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca