vfs functions

prabhu prabhum at msys-tech.com
Wed Jan 12 06:38:45 EST 2011

mohit verma wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i am confused with the functions starting from vfs_ . i  think they
> show the significance of VFS model  i  mean if something could be done
> without touching the  disk stuff then why not to do that
> but i am not quite sure. so please help me understand what does these
> actually mean??
>
> thanks in advance guysss

I am not sure that I understand the above question correctly, you mean
"what is the use of VFS file system if doing operation without touching the disk .
That means doing operation on cd rom, keyboard,mouse ?"

VFS is a upper layer of all the filesystem and all the module register its file operation into this layer.
So Whenever you doing operation on any file, VFS layer receive the request and redirect into corresponding
registered module operation.

I don't think we can do the operation without vfs.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks ,
Skm prabhu