Question on mmap / expecting more calls to vfs_read

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 00:12:38 EST 2011

Hi Sebastian,

read_pages is a small piece of code, please paste the complete
function with your changes over here, I am sure there must be some
minor bug otherwise page->lru.next looks fine to me.

> I am wondering how the main loop of read_pages()
>
>        for (page_idx = 0; page_idx < nr_pages; page_idx++) {
>                struct page *page = list_to_page(pages);
>                [..]
>        }
>
> really iterates, if neither the address of pages changes in the loop nor
> page_idx is passed to anything.  I would think the loop is actually
> accessing the same page again and again, but somehow my own

No its not iterating same page, you missed the call to
list_del(&page->lru) in the main loop. Remember it removes the first
element from the head of the list (as this page is now responsibility
of page cache) and next element automatically becomes head of the list
ie. list_head *pages.

> I want to trace down all reads and writes to the file system including
> filename, offset and byte count into a log that I can reply inside a
> simulator.

for filename you have to track open calls to file system but remember
for resolving the complete path name, you have to get into depths of
namespace and play with vfsmount data structure.

Rajat