how to compile the 0.01 version of kernel

KK nitric.acid at gmx.us
Sun Jan 9 23:04:47 EST 2011

On 1/10/2011 4:09 AM, Berlin Brown wrote:
> There is a compilable 0.01 version of linux out there.  Don't take the
> actual source.  You need a custom 0.01 kernel to work with the modern
> compiler tools out there.
>
> If you do make a version, you might try creating a VMWare VM and
> putting it online.
>
> This might be it.
>
> http://draconux.free.fr/os_dev/linux0.01.html
>
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca <mailto:rpjday at crashcourse.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, KK wrote:
>
>     > Hello All,
>
>     > I was going through the linux kernel newbie articles in
>     > kernelnewbies.com <http://kernelnewbies.com> and found it very
>     interesting. I downloaded the
>     > tarballs for the 0.01 version of kernel from :
>     > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/
>
>      but ... why?  i can appreciate the historical entertainment value to
>     some extent, but nobody's going to hire you based on your familiarity
>     with the 0.01 version of the linux kernel.
>
>      surely there are more interesting and potentially profitable ways to
>     spend your time that employers would care about.
>
>     rday
>
>     --
>
>     ========================================================================
>     Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario,
>     CANADA
>     http://crashcourse.ca
>
>     Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
>     LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
>

> --
> Berlin Brown (berlin dot brown at gmail.com <http://gmail.com>)
> http://botnode.com
> http://berlinbrowndev.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all of you for all your help.
Berlin, I'm downloading the source code for compilable 0.01 kenel that I
can compile/run on my box. Thanks for everything. And once everything
works out I'll put VMware/Virtualbox image on the web so that others
like me can benefit from that. Thanks for the nice suggestion.

Thanks,
KK