spin_lock and scheduler confusion

Viral Mehta Viral.Mehta at lntinfotech.com
Fri Jan 7 12:46:35 EST 2011

Hi,
From: Dave Hylands [dhylands at gmail.com]
Subject: Re: spin_lock and scheduler confusion

>> I guess timeslice expire case is not as same as preemption. Or may be I am
>> terribly wrong.
>
>You shouldn't be holding  a spinlock for periods of time approaching
>the length of a timeslice. The timer interrupt is what determines the
>end of a timeslice. No timer interrupt, no end of a timeslice.
>Preemption is also triggered by the timer interrupt, or by releasing a
>resource that a higher priority task is waiting for.

thanks,
it is much clear now.

>Dave Hylands

Thanks,
Viral

http://groups.google.com/group/fundamental-discussion?hl=en

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s). Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and  using or disseminating the information,  and must notify the sender and delete it from their system. L&T Infotech will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in this e-mail"