How does the kernel setup the file system

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 11:45:10 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Fu Kai <kapenware at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi folks,
> I'm looking the source code about linux file system recently. I have scanned
> over ext2,
> and now I'm very curious about how does the kernel setup the ext2 up, but I
> couldn't locate
> the corresponding code. Could anybody give any advice for me?
>
> Thanks,
> owr

You mean how does a partition get formatted?

If so, from userspace.  A lot of filesystem support logic is in
userspace.  So you have to look at those tools as well.

They are maintained by the same developers as the kernel.

Remember, in general if a job can be done in userspace as well as it
can in the kernel, then it is not allowed into the kernel.  The goal
is to keep the kernel small.

Greg