slab usage in linux

Sowmya Sridharan sowmya.sridharan at tcs.com
Tue Jan 4 06:49:27 EST 2011

Hi List,

I have a few queries regarding slab memory and it's usage.
I have seen slab cache increase by even 1GB, over two to three days on a
stable system.(The system was sending and receiving bulk amounts of
packets).

When is slab usually freed? Also when I analyzed /proc/slabinfo, I was
able to see that the number of active slab objects were increasing mostly
for task_struct, dentry_cache and proc_inode_caches. When are these caches
allotted objects, in general?

Can anyone please explain the behavior related to slab allocation; or
point to any reference material?

Thanks,
Sowmya.
and any attachments. Thank you