FPGA registers userspace interface?

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Mon Jan 3 08:00:30 EST 2011

On 03/01/11 12:47, Kfir Lavi wrote:

> I have a FPGA that is constantly changing (its on development phase).
> I want to let userspace app to update those registers, but don't want to
> create an API yet.
> What is the best way to open a range of registers to userspace, so no
> driver update is required?

When I had to do this recently I used sysfs, I have no idea if it's the
best way but it certainly was very effective. Remember in sysfs that
each file should only have one value.

Once it's setup though you can just write to the sysfs files, I started
by writing simple perl scripts to test things before starting to write
more complex apps.

HTH

Phil