Adding a kobject in the device model hierarchy

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Jan 1 21:50:32 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:58:11PM +0530, Prabhu nath wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>         I have written one pseudo char driver. I have initialized the device
> generic structure
>     with cdev_init function. This will initialize the kobject structure
> embedded within struct cdev
>     with appropriate ktype.

But NEVER touch that kobject, it is not for your use at all.

> If I want to add this kobject in
> /sys/devices/virtual/misc/ location
>     of sysfs, how is the following fields set
>     * kobj->parent
>     * kobj->kset
>     * kobj->kset->obj.

Nope, you need your own struct device, do not use the kobject in the
cdev, again, it is NOT for use at all.  It is private to a cdev and
I need to figure out a way to make it so that you can't even see it one
day to keep people from trying to use it.

good luck,

greg k-h