Errors in booting a new image built

SADA SIVA REDDY S sadasiva.reddy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 17:03:14 EST 2011

Hi All,
   I am trying to setup linux development environment. I did the following
steps to get my first work environment.

   1. Used my Laptop Dell Inspiron N5030 : (Pentium R Dual Core T4500)
   2. Downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and installed with partition options given by
   Ubuntu. Now its a dual boot operating system.
   3. Installed Git and pulled the source code using instructions at
   http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html#download_first_time (git pull git://
   git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
   )
   4. Now did make config ( let the default options take except for
   selecting processor type)
   5. Now I built the kernel using 'make -j8 bzImage
   6. Copied the image to /boot/newkernel
   7. Updated the /boot/grub/grub.cfg to take another menu entry , image
   pointing to /boot/newkernel.
   8. Removed initrd - which should be specific to distributions.

When I boot this image , I get an error saying can not open root device.(
https://picasaweb.google.com/sadasiva.reddy/KernelError?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLo_oH4zvPpVA&feat=directlink
)

Could any one please guide me how to setup this root file system or any
thing else that I need to do to be able to boot this kernel that I build.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

I understand that my knowledge or initial groundwork is not a lot. Pardon my
ignorance as I am a new starter to the Linux Kernel world.

Thanks,
SADA