Thread scheduling in 2.6 kernels

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 08:47:45 EST 2011

> Quite long questions you have below...but I'll try to summarize and answer....

I did try to be as concise as possible! :)

> Btw, your problem description is great....I believe it helps (at least
> /me) to get a sense what you gonna do, what you've done and how it
> really works. A nice example for every one of us....

Thanks

>> We're working in an MIPS based embedded system, running a fairly old
>
> OK, I take a bold note here. I only have in touch with x86 32 bit, so
> what I am going to say might be completely wrong it is brought to MIPS
> realm.

No probs...even I'm no expert in MIPS (rather my first time with MIPS
as well!:))

The only thing that I found which _might_ be pertinent to our
discussion was that the multi-threading option for MIPS  was disabled
("MIPS MT options (Disable multithreading support.)" ). Since this is
a vendor provided config option I have not changed it. So no processor
MT support for apps.

>> Linux 2.6.22 kernel (with vendor provided BSP). We write UI
>
> I remember vaguely that CFS (Complete Fair Scheduler) was improved
> somewhere after 2.6.22 version...I couldn't recall exactly what
> changes they are...

The vendor provided linux kernel has the "Staircase Deadline"
scheduler patched into it...so no CFS here...

> In fact, the latest "200 lines famous patch" also affect how scheduling works...

Yeah I read about it (thoug I couldn't grasp how the thing actually
works)...I have the user-space variant of this soln running on my
ubuntu box :)

> Why not shifting the network I/O to the decoder threat? or IMHO,
> better...another separate thread? So each other could
> overlap...between CPU computation and I/O.

We have tested running the app with just the decoding bit disabled in
the decoder thread. The animation is pretty smooth...though thats also
because there's not much to do w/o the images! :)

QT handles n/w i/o pretty well, in a non-blocking, async
manner...though I'm not sure if it is internally using separate
threads for doing so...will have to find out.

> one is lowest, latter is highest? hmmmm if we put that back to pre CFS
> era, that could mean a very different time slice assignment...or in
> simpler word...kinda bad idea. I think if it's using nice value, it's
> better if the difference is around 5 or 10 by maximum.

The idea of assigning 2 extreme pri's was to ensure that the decode
thread never interferer's with the main thread while animation is
going on. It's almost like the main thread needs "real-time" priority
while it's doing animation...and goes back to normal priority when
idle! :)

I think SD sched uses nice values...I'm also not certain whether the
QT wrappers are assigning "nice" values when one tries to set priority
to a thread...will have to check and get back.

> wait, so decoder just "eat" the content of the buffer without being
> signaled before? in other word, it just work all the time?

I'm not sure i follow your question here.

The main thread _copies_ raw data rx'ed from the n/w and adds it to a
"job queue" of the decoder thread...a fxn in the decoder thread simply
checks if there are any jobs in the queue...if there is...it accesses
the data (which was copied earlier when adding the job) and decodes
the image...

This is where had the 2 types of implementations...i.e in one...this
job queue is checked continuously like:

while(true) {
    if (job-queue is NOT empty) {
       // do decode
    }
}

And in the second implementation:

while(true) {
    if (job-queue is NOT empty) {
        // do decode
    } else {
        // wait for main thread to signal us when a new job is available
    }
}

The "waiting" (in 2nd implementation) is done via thread
synchronization primitives available in QT
(http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qwaitcondition.html)

> I think this is the problem and that's why I proposed to isolate the
> network I/O into separate thread. It's like ping pong, main thread
> push new data, decoder thread wait...it is then woken
> up..decoding...main thread waits....
>
> Technically it is called priority inversion..if I got it correctly
> about your situation.

Hmmm...n/w io doesn't seem to be affecting animation perf of main
thread (as pointed above)...it's just that when the decoder thread has
a job to do..I need it to be preempted by the main thread so it can
complete its animation w/o the other thread taking away precious CPU
cycles...

I'm going to try an "renice"-ing the decoder thread to a higher value
and see if it changes the behaviour in the 2nd implementation (where
we don't busy-loop)...

> Fixed? I don't think so. CFS is kinda using "delta" i.e if current
> task runs for x and other which is waiting is y, then for the next
> round, others deserve some kind of weighted x-y.

SD sched, i think, assigns a fixed quota of runtime (= timeslice?) and
if the process uses up this quota...it's priority is reduced to the
next level....

>> - How can I find out if the kernel supports NPTL (kernel managed
>> threads) or plain old linux threads (user-space managed threads)?
>
> I think this trick might work: Check /proc/<pid>/maps or use pmap.
> NPTL ones usually maps libtls in its process address space

pmap's not available! :(

and i couldn't see libtls mapped in this process's addr space (is it
really libtls? why would we have TLS library for NPTL?...isn't libtls
used for SSL communications?)

> so, no coreutils/util-linux/util-linux-ng?

coreutils is there.....but most commands are stripped down/lightweight
versions of the originals! :)

>> Any other way to get more thread related info about a running application?
>
> everything under /proc/<pid>? have you checked that?

This helped a little!

I can see the threads spawned by the main thread under
"/proc/<pid>/task". This dir lists pid's of all the threads started by
the parent proc...and contents of individual dir (pids) is same as
"/proc/<pid>"...

Here I could find out my decoder thread's ID...but again contents of
that dir does not show info like priority/nice value etc...

Thanks again for your inputs. I'll keep posting my findings
here...till I get a satisfactory soln to this issue.

Regards,
-mandeep