Problem with PCI Driver on Ubuntu 10.10 i386

Adhyas Avasthi adhyas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 14:10:04 EST 2011

I am trying to develop a very basic PCI device driver for a dummy
device I have created in qemu. The device has no functionality except
that it sits on the PCI bus behind two bridges (bridge 0 on root bus,
bridge 1 only device behind bridge 0, and device behind bridge 1 as
the only device). It is a single function do nothing device with one
MMIO BAR of 0x10000 size. The BAR is initialized by the kernel at some
MMIO location but the device is not disabled, as there is no driver. I
have used one of the available vendor ids for my work.

My driver is not loaded automatically, so I load the driver manually
after the boot of the VM, and then issues a rescan of the entire PCI
bus using "echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan", but nothing happens. The
probe function of my driver is never invoked, neither does the device
gets visible in lspci output.

Can someone help me identify what I might be doing wrong?

I have attached the driver code, the lspci output, the lspci -H1
output, the lspci -H1 -xxx -s 02:02.0 output that details the
registers of the device.

--
Adhyas
Two types have compatible type if their types are the same.