Page Cache Address Space Concept

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:16:20 EST 2011

Hi :)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 17:59, piyush moghe <pmkernel at gmail.com> wrote:
> While going through Page Cache explanation in "Professional Linux Kernel"
> book I came across one term called "address space" ( not related to virtual
> or physical address space )
> I did not get what is the meaning of this address space

I'll try to help (although I am not really into filesystem and block
device things):
think of it like "in which 'device'....or to be precise, a partition
or anything 'alike" it belongs". In practice, AFAIK it is used to
differentiate whether a page caches something from underlying
device...or caching anonymous memory (doesn't have any backing device)

(memory) address space --> layout of memory in virtual memory space
(the way MMU partitions memory)

name space --> in which root filesystem a file or directory (or
anything alike) belongs... example: chroot jails

pid space --> list of PID that belongs to certain "machine"..it is
done to cope with virtual machine...so PID created by them are each
belongs to different "space"

so by continuing the same "analogy", you could imagine what address
space means in this case....
--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa