When "probe" is called?

Joy Sun joy2sun127 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 01:53:38 EST 2011

Hi,

I am seeing probe function pointer and know the procedure to register of it
for a specific device driver. However, I wonder when it is actually called?

For example, for platform drivers, there is a structure like this:

struct platform_driver {
 int (*probe)(struct platform_device *);
 int (*remove)(struct platform_device *);
 void (*shutdown)(struct platform_device *);
 int (*suspend)(struct platform_device *, pm_message_t state);
 int (*suspend_late)(struct platform_device *, pm_message_t state);
 int (*resume_early)(struct platform_device *);
 int (*resume)(struct platform_device *);
 struct device_driver driver;
};

Then, it is registered by

int platform_driver_register(struct platform_driver *drv);

But, I wonder when actually, those functions (especially, probe) are called.
Could you guide me about it, please?

Thanks,

-J.