Regarding PREEMPT_RT option

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 04:37:48 EST 2011

Just adding :)

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 04:32, Sri Ram Vemulpali <sri.ram.gmu06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I am trying to find detailed explanation of preemption option
> in config. For desktop, server, and low-latency desktop. Can anyone
> explain in what scenarios these are useful.

for server, quite likely you need preempt voluntary or none. The
reason: you need to get the things get done fast, but user
responsiveness (i.e GUI click response) could be sacrificed

for desktop: between voluntary or full preempt. reason: you likely
need fast response (i.e responding mouse click). Full preempt allow
kernel to do context switch even if it's still in kernel mode, as long
as preemption is allowed.

if you're in doubt, pick voluntary... :)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant