Regarding SIGSEGV

Guillaume Knispel gknispel at proformatique.com
Wed Feb 2 16:28:52 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:11:41 -0500
Sri Ram Vemulpali <sri.ram.gmu06 at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Thanks for introducing me to 'phrack' magazine. I read the article.
> It seems its kind of hack, which might leave process in unexpected
> state. I am more of looking at which thread in the task generated the
> SIGSEGV. This article is very helpful, but some more information the
> direction would do for me. Thanks in advance

If you don't kill the whole process on SIGSEGV, you don't have any
warranty that you won't encounter further unexpected behavior anyway
in the general case -- and achieving hypothetical requirements to
partly ignore SIGSEGV in a way that would still allow to have fully
defined behavior after the event would probably be far more harder to
achieve than doing a clean design. And just to be extra clear: stopping
thread that generated the SIGSEGV is not going to get you a completely
sane state.

Just use multiple processes or be prepared to introduce even more
problems than those supposed to be fixed by what you are trying to do
(which won't even fix them properly anyway...)

--
Guillaume Knispel