logging kernel panics with netconsole

Manavendra Nath Manav mnm.kernel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 06:35:19 EST 2011

Hi Zac,

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:39 AM, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159 at gmail.com> wrote:
> my laptop is getting kernel panics often. I have a desktop connected to my
> internet router via ethernet, and my laptop connected to my router via wifi.
> how can I log my laptops panics on my desktop? I'm hoping to do this using
> wifi somehow. I am a newbie, and I know nothing about networking.
> should I use netconsole? or is there a way for panics to be logged to disk.
>
> I really want to find a patch/s to fix these panics, as my laptop freezes
> with panics 2-4 times a day...
>
> thanks,
>
> zac

You can use kgdb to debug kernel panics. You need to run kgdb in
client-server mode with kgdb server running in you PC and kgdb client
running in your laptop. Apart from this you can also use "Kernel Magic
SysRq keys" to generate core dump file after kernel panic to analyze
the root cause of the crash using the coredump file as input to gdb.

The SysRq key can be disabled with the following command:
bash# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

netconsole is useful to show syslogd messages over UDP network, but
coredump provides more useful crash statistics like stack backtrace,
cpu registers, list of blocked (D state) tasks, etc.

Thanks & Regards,
Manavendra Nath Manav