How to copy kernel headers?

autif khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:21:44 EST 2011

I think that is what I am looking for.

So, calling make modules_prepare does something, but I am not sure how
to copy the relevant files to a separate directory that can be
deployed on another
machine. I tried searching, but could not find clear resources - I
tired make modules_prepare O=/some/path but that failed with the error
included below.

I have a fully built kernel and modules in
~/data/dev/kernel/linux-2.6.37.6 - where make modules_prepare was
called from.

Can you please tell me how to use make modules_prepare properly.

Thanks

Autif

autif at xu:~/data/dev/kernel/linux-2.6.37.6$ make modules_prepare
O=/home/autif/data/dev/kernel/2.6.37.6.modules.O
  GEN     /home/autif/data/dev/kernel/2.6.37.6.modules.O/Makefile
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
***
*** Configuration file ".config" not found!
***
*** Please run some configurator (e.g. "make oldconfig" or
*** "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig").
***
make[3]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules_prepare'.  Stop.
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
autif at xu:~/data/dev/kernel/linux-2.6.37.6$