Learning Linux Kernel

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Mon Dec 12 18:47:24 EST 2011

From: kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of Kaushal Shriyan
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 3:40 PM
To: kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Learning Linux Kernel

Hi

I have been working on Linux OS for the last 10 years and it has been very exiting and challenging to learn new technologies based on Linux. I am basically a Sys Admin for Linux with bash programming and configuring and setting up Linux Server including network services like BIND DNS,Apache etc...

Although i do not know C and ASM Language, I am very much eager to start learning Linux Kernel Code and contribute to linux kernel codebase sometimes down the line.
Please guide/suggest me.

Regards,

Kaushal

If you don't know C, you'll probably will want to start with a C tutorial. You can skip learning assembly languages for now, there is very little of it in the kernel sources and it varies a lot from processor to processor, but you'll need to understand C very well in order to really understand the kernel.

Jeff Haran