how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Wed Aug 31 16:29:37 EDT 2011

From: kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of Vaibhav Jain
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:08 PM
To: Jonathan Neuschäfer
Cc: kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Jonathan Neuschäfer <j.neuschaefer at gmx.net> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vaibhav,
> >
> > Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.

[snip]

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you please
> tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
> /proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?

Syslog is a user space program, that collects the kernel messages.
So if you don't have /etc/syslog.conf on your system, it likely just
means that you don't have a standard installation of the syslog program,
which can have different reasons. AFAIK, syslog has been replaced by
rsyslog or syslog-ng on modern desktop linux distros.

BTW, Ramesh told you to try /etc/rsyslog.conf (note the 'r'), not
/etc/syslog.conf.

HTH,
       Jonathan Neuschäfer

Hi,

Thanks for reply! I found the rsyslog.conf on my system. But

I am finding it hard to configure it. Actually I made some changes but they are not working.

I made some changes to the kernel and wanted that they appear at either the console or

some other file. However the changes don't work.

I tried adding the following  lines (one at a time)

kern.*              /dev/console

kern.*             <file in my home directory>

but on making these changes other kernel messages also stop showing up.

Can you please give me some idea as to why this might happen ?

-Thanks

Vaibhav Jain

See if this helps:

echo 7 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk