Unknown symbol usb_register_driver

Prajosh Premdas premdas.prajosh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:45:00 EDT 2011

Hi All

Thanks for the reply. I got the initial stuff working.

I am not yet clear on what licence this will be released as you guys
mentioned i will try to make it on GPL.

Stephan,
I am trying to make a NIC card of 802.15.4 type. I dont find a point in
using ACM class in USB for creating the NIC card as it is defined for
Ethernet only. Any suggestions from your end on the same

Regrads
Prajosh Premdas

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM, StephanT <stman937-linewbie at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> ------------------------------
> > > I am using Linux-2.6.31-14 based on Ubuntu karmic. I am developing
> > > a proprietary usb driver and was doing my study .
> >
> > The Linux USB subsystem does not allow non-GPL kernel drivers, sorry.
> >

> like "giving code away" is often frowned upon by management particularly
> when
> it hides the interface to some ASIC or other piece of hardware that your
> company
> wants to keep a secret,
>

> I know what I have to say is, maybe out of topic but I take advantage of
> the thread
> to ask a basic question: The USB interface is very well known today. It is
> not public
> but it is very like it was public. There are lots of examples and
> implementations.
>
> My question is why would one put specific code in a generic communication
> interface.
> Does this mean the driver was poorly designed? With a good design the
> driver will
> handle the data exchange and the user application will handle the specific
> (IP hidden)
> aspects. This split generic_communication_kernel_module /
> specific_user_application
> should remove all "NON-GPL" thorns. I am right?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan

Regards,

Prajosh Premdas