I need suggestions for a practical work related with Kernel Development

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:55:04 EDT 2011

Hi....

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 01:18, Facundo Viale <facundo.m.viale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm new here and i what to introduce myself i'm teacher in a University
> in the course Operation Systems.

We have similarities in that aspect alone :)

In my opinion, before you put your student into coding practice, it
would be good to get them familiar with the kernel mechanism first.

The best way I can think of, is by using Qemu and its gdb stub. Load a
Linux kernel that is compiled with debugging symbols and let them play
with it (put breakpoints here and there, use watchpoint etc).

>From there, gradually ask them to alter few things like what if each
tasks gets doubled time slice than normal? how it affects
interactivity and so on. They could also hack magic sysrq a bit and do
additional thing like simply triggering hello world.

Apologize if we have different view on how to teach OS, but hopefully
you could grab the positive aspects here.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant