I need suggestions for a practical work related with Kernel Development

Facundo Viale facundo.m.viale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:18:48 EDT 2011

Hi! I'm new here and i what to introduce myself i'm teacher in a University
in the course Operation Systems. During the course the students learn some
Operatyng Systems concepts, specially everything relating to the Kernel. As
a practice task, they also have to use C to make a program with some Kernel
functionalities. This year this task consists on programming a File System
(I chose FAT32 since I thought it was the easiest one to implement) using
FUSE and simulating a Hard Disk and a RAID behavior.

Since I'm not a Kernel expert I'm looking for some advice and ideas. The aim
of the practice task I'm creating is to help the students make a program
that simulates the behavior and functionalities of a Kernel (such as a File
System, Memory Administrator, Planner, etc.), but at the same I would like
those programs to really interact with the Kernel, being not only ideal
simulation cases (like FUSE). But, as I said, I don't know that much to have
a good idea of what can I use to make the most from the Kernel in the task.

I could really use some ideas!

Some of the things I have in mind:

- Use netlinks
- Build a kernel module