Compile the driver against kernel source requires a build kernel ??

Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar chambilkethakur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:14:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Sraddha <dhakatevaishali at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to build a led driver for the samsung kernel 2.6.35.7
> I have 2.6.35-22-generic installed on my host machine
> Now I thought is I could take the header files for the 2.6.35.7 kernel from
> the net sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.35.7:
>  Error:Unable to locate package kernel-headers-2.6.35.7

This is related to repositories of your host distribution. It seems
repositories  do not have this package. check your distros document for
correct package name.

>  Any suggestion for the header files
>  can I use the header files of 2.6.35 like if I type sudo apt-get install
> kernel-headers-2.6.35

you should be able to use the same headers(in most cases)

>  and use these header files for the led driver compilation
>
> I have the samsung kernel source , so Maybe I just compile the led driver
> against this source without compiling the entire samsung kernel .

What is samsung kernel?
yes, I think you can compile out of tree modules, check out books like
rubini or love for details or googling should also help.