[ Kernel not booting up ]

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 07:33:12 EDT 2011

Hi Ashish,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM, ashish raste <rasteashish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently I compiled and tried installing kernel (2.6.39.3), which I
> downloaded from kernel.org
> All the activity that I did was to copy the .config file of my distro
> (Ubuntu 10.10), then the following commands :
>
> - make menuconfig ( I exited, keeping the default configuration )

You can execute 'make localmodconfig' after this, to ensure that you have
all the necessary
components enabled in the .config file. It also strips off all the
unnecessary ones, which will speed up
your compilation.

Did you forget to run 'make' after this stage?

- make modules
> - make install_modules

I run 'make modules_install' here...

- make install
> - update grub
>
> All of the above commands got executed without any errors, and the new
> kernel version was also shown in the grub menu. But it showed some
> errors and didn't login.
>
> When I tried logging to my Ubuntu distro, a blue login box(which is
> normally violet in color) appeared. After giving password, it came
> back again to the same screen without going inside.
>
> Only thing I was able to do was to dropping in root mode (from
> Ubuntu's recovery mode u\in the grub menu) and looking at all of my
> data through terminal without a GUI.
>
> Do you see a prompt like this ?:
grub>

If yes, you can try to boot your kernel by manually specifying the
path to your kernel image, initrd etc.
Eg:
grub> kernel /path/to/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> initrd /path/to/initramfs_image
grub> boot

Note that you'll have to replace /dev/sda1 with path to your root partition.
And similarly
replace hd0,0 with the value appropriate in your computer's configuration.
[ hd0,0 refers to Hard-disk 0, partition 0, that is, the first partition on
your first hard disk. ]

Once you are able to boot into your OS fully, check your grub entries to see
if anything seems
to be wrong and fix them. The relevant file would be /boot/grub/menu.lst if
you are using the
old version of Grub (and not Grub2).

Can anyone tell how can I recover my compiled kernel and distro's kernel?

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat