multiple dependent out-of-tree modules

Jorgyano Bruno jorgyano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 20:31:53 EDT 2011

Hello guys!! Thanks for the answers!

You are right Vladmir, if I edit the Module.symvers file of the dependent
modues and put the symbols the it need, from the other module Module.symvers
file it works well.

I have tried modprobe with modules in kernel tree and works well, but I
could not do the same with out-of tree modules, I think that is just a
configuration issue of modprobe.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:40:12PM -0300, Jorgyano Bruno wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys!
> >
> > I'm working with three out-of-tree kernel modules,
> > one of them export symbols used by the others.
> > At compile time, MODPOST warns about undefined symbols,
> > which are defined on the first module
> > and used in the second and third modules.
> > When I try to load the modules "insmod" returns the error "Unknown Symbol
> in
> > module" for those symbols warned by MODPOST.
> >
> > How can I to compile several out-of-tree modules which depends on one
> another
> > and make  to the dependant modules look for the needed symbols on the
> > directories of the modules which have the symbols?
>
> Use modprobe, not insmod, and you will be fine.
>
> greg k-h

Thanks for the answers!!

--
Jorgyano Bruno de Oliveira Vieira