How to reinstall modified custom kernel?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Thu Aug 18 12:52:56 EDT 2011

Hello:
If this is related to your thesis, I recommend you get a deeper
understanding of dpkg and what it does.
Essentially, dpkg is the same as the MSI installer setup in Windows.
When you use make-dpkg (I think I might have that command wrong), it
compiles your
kernel, then it stuffs it in these packages that you use to install. You
will need to install the packages using dpkg -i to install the new
kernel. Think of it like this. You write a program, and you put say
version 1.2 in a package to be installed. Now you release 1.3, but in
order to give 1.3 to your users you're going to have to reupdate that
package with 1.3. Same with the kernel. Just building the kernel into
.deb packages doesn't install it, it just creates a means that you can
use to install the kernel.

On 8/18/2011 10:44 AM, Amirali Shambayati wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last time, I emailed to linux-kernel and kernenewbies mailing-lists
> about how to speed up kernel compilation. I received very useful peace
> of advice about using "ccache". Now I want to modify and compile a
> unique custom kernel several times.
> I used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile to compile
> custom kernel. This tutorial uses "kpkg" command to build kernel and
> it produces two .deb files: "linux-image" and "linux-header" as result.
> So for the first time I followed this tutorial.
> For next times, according to to experts' advice, I use "make all" in
> custom kernel root directory to rebuild kernel. I am not sure that it
> would be enough to use *changed kernel* after rebooting. As I asked
> from some experts, It is also required to install kernel again, but
> they were not familiar with "kpkg" and "dpkg",... commands for kernel
> installation.
> Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
> re-installation?
> If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
> please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
> thesis :P
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Amirali Shambayati
> Bachelor Student
> Computer Engineering Department
> Sharif University of Technology
> Tehran, Iran

Take care,
Ty
my website:
http://tds-solutions.net
my blog:
http://tds-solutions.net/blog
skype: st8amnd127
My programs don't have bugs; they're randomly added features!