PCI IO memory resource allocation

J.Hwan.Kim j.hwan.kim99 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:04:06 EDT 2011

On 2011년 08월 18일 15:01, Vladimir Murzin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM, J.Hwan Kim<frog1120 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi, everyone
>>
>> In kernel source, where is the PCI IO memory resource allocation is done?
>> (memory mapped io)
>>
>> And can you explain the IO memory resource allocation mechanism?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> J.Hwan Kim

> Hi J.Hwan,
>
> Have you tried reading some books like Linux Device Drivers by
> Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro
> Rubini, and Greg Kroah-Hartman? In mentioned book there is a chapter
> dedicated to PCI subsystem.

Thank you for reply.

As far as I know, the PCI mem resouces are allocated mainly by BIOS on
Intel based system, but they can also be allocated by linux kernel
according to boot command option.
I tried to find the routine in kernel source directory, but it was not
easy to find it.

I want to find the source code in which linux kernel allocates the I/O
memory for PCI device.
I had a problem in my pci device which uses SR-IOV function indicates that
the MMIO is allocated in sufficiently and my BIOS is old version,
so I hope to solve the problem using the linux kerenl for allocating the
I/O mem
for the pci device and to know where the source code is for that.

Best Regards,
J.Hwan Kim