Dev Environment?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:18:25 EDT 2011

Hi..

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 00:57, Daniel Hilst Selli <danielhilst at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey people.. I start to read a book about kernel, and
> want to make some changes to it, for study purpose. ue
> I think in edit it, an use qemu to test it with some minimal
> distribution installation.
>
> So how people usually do?

That's really subjective...btw, i am not developer, but here's my "setup":
- cscope plus vim for source code navigation. if I am lazy, I simply
go to lxr.linux.no for online code browsing

- plain qemu or qemu+kvm for running the kernel plus activating its
gdb stub. Then hook gdb into it so I can freely stop kernel execution
anywhere I like

- of course, gcc as the compiler.

- ccache, if you wanna to speed up repetitive compilation

- "screen" tool running all of the above as its sessions :)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant