kallsyms_lookup_name

Abu Rasheda rcpilot2010 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:21:30 EDT 2011

> - grep kallsyms_lookup from /proc/kallsyms (it is there on SL 5.5 and SL
>> 6.0. You can edit your program and assign something like:
>>
>> int (*my_kallsyms_lookup_name)(const char *name) = (void *) KALLSYMS;
>>
>> where KALLSYMS is address found above, or your loading script can feed
>> this address.
>>

> This is what i am currently doing but i need a cleaner way of doing this.

Sometime, this is only thing you have, and this is pretty clean. You can
write a script, which could pass module parameter for the address of the
function.

> if your kernel is compiled with kprobe, you can use it to get address too.
>>

> How do i do it using kprobes? To register a kprobe, i need the address of
> kallsyms_lookup_name which is what i want in the first place.

I think following should work.

struct kprobe kp;

memset(&kp, 0, sizeof(kp));
kp.symbol_name = "kallsyms_lookup_name";
if (!register_kprobe(&kp))
   {
    my_kallsyms_lookup_name = (void *) kp.addr;
    unregister_kprobe(&kp);
  }