kallsyms_lookup_name

Abu Rasheda rcpilot2010 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:03:28 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:55, Venkatram Tummala <venkatram867 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use some unexported kernel symbols in my kernel module but in
> the
> > particular kernel version i am based on (2.6.18 - RHEL 5.7),
> > kallsyms_lookup_name is not exported and there is no
> kallsyms_on_each_symbol
> > in this kernel. And I can't change the kernel owing to reasons i have no
> > control over.
> >
> > In this scenario, how do i use unexported symbols. Is there any other
> > mechanism by which i can lookup the address of a kernel symbol.

You can:

- grep kallsyms_lookup from /proc/kallsyms (it is there on SL 5.5 and SL
6.0. You can edit your program and assign something like:

int (*my_kallsyms_lookup_name)(const char *name) = (void *) KALLSYMS;

where KALLSYMS is address found above, or your loading script can feed this
address. if your kernel is compiled with kprobe, you can use it to get
address too.