VMA of processes and CPU registers

mindentropy mindentropy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:30:52 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 27 Apr 2011 10:03:47 am Prabhu nath wrote:
> My Apologies for top posting. Now in continuation to my previous question.
> Is there a method to know whether segmentation unit is enabled or disabled
> either from Kernel space or user space.
>
> Thanks,
> Prabhu

You need to bottom post. Sigh!

As far as I understand the kernel sets up minimal segmentation. All the
segments start from 0 and all offsets have limits to 0xFFFFF. So the segment
addresses corresponds to the linear addresses. Even if there is paging enabled
there is segment translation.  Please feel free to correct me if I have
misunderstood.