thinking of updating the canonical online udev document

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Apr 26 09:06:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Greg KH wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:12:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   [not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i suspect others
> > on this list might be interested so ... there you go.]
>
> The linux-hotplug at vger.kernel.org list is where this should be
> discussed, please take it there.
>
> >   as part of a device driver course i may very well be teaching in the
> > near future (still waiting to hear), i'm thinking of adding a sizable
> > section on how udev works (after i figure all that out, of course.)
> >
> >   currently, the canonical udev document is this one:
> >
> >   http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> That doc could almost be removed entirely now, as no one should need
> to mess with udev rules "by hand" anymore thanks to devtmpfs and the
> default udev rules that are in all distros (with one notable
> exception.)
>
> What is your goal in redoing this?  Why would a user/developer ever
> need to mess with udev on their own anymore?
>
> Ideally, it should all "just work" now, and I think it does given
> your previous emails about the confusion as to how your driver was
> automagically creating the correct device nodes without any help
> from you :)

  so you don't see much need for that level of detail for udev
anymore?  at the very least, i can see the need for what i asked about
before -- how a misc device suddenly showed up under /dev, and with
what properties.

  is there a doc explaining that somewhere?  because i definitely went
looking before i asked that question here.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca