VMA of processes and CPU registers

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 21:22:29 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM, mindentropy <mindentropy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 Apr 2011 11:00:17 pm Dave Hylands wrote:
>
>> I think that this is true for all of the architectures I've worked
>> with (ARM, MIPS, x86). Some architectures (like MIPS) have a
>> combination of spaces which are linearly mapped between virtual and
>> physical, and mapped spaces (which go through an MMU).
>
> Is this just identity mapping or does it bypass the paging unit for some
> addresses? Just out of curiosity how do you tell the bypassing info?

On the MIPS core I was working with (which I think was R3000 based),
they use the upper 2 or 3 bits of the address to determine the type of
access.

This page has the details (the table about 1/3 of the way down the web page):
<http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/hades/webdemos/mips.html>

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada