Broadcom Ethernet card not working with new kernels - intermittently being registered as two different devices

julie Sullivan kernelmail.jms at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:31:09 EDT 2011

Hi list,

Celejar (see message copied below) has been having problems with his
Broadcom BCM4401-B0 Ethernet card not working on very recent kernels -
it seems to be sporadically registered either as the correct device or
as a completely different Broadcom device on a different subsystem and
IRQ.
He has emailed various mailing lists and, more recently, linux-kernel,
netdev, devel.linuxdriverproject and the b44 driver maintainer but so
far without any response.
I would need to do a _lot_ of swotting up on device registration
semantics to even know where to start looking, so can anyone here
help? Any ideas?
NOTE: _please do_ cc him as I don't think he is subscribed to kernelnewbies.

Cheers
Julie

[I have previously posted this issue to the Debian user, lkml and
netdev MLs, but no one has replied with any suggestions.  It has been
suggested that I try these addresses.]

Hi,

With recent kernels (git pulls of vanillas sources from kernel.org,
mainline and 2.6.38.1), my Broadcom BCM4401-B0 Ethernet card, normally
driven by the b44 driver, has stopped working.  Poking around, I
discovered that the card is (sometimes) no longer correctly identified;
it now (sometimes) shows up (with 'lspci -v' as root) as this bizarre
device:

06:01.0 Network and computing encryption device: Broadcom Corporation
Device 0010 (rev 02) (prog-if 10)
       Subsystem: Allied Telesis, Inc Device 0010
       Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 10
       Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=8K]

This is what it looks like when it's correctly detected:

06:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
       Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
       Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
       Kernel driver in use: b44

I'm currently seeing the problem with 2.6.38.1.  What on earth is this
all about?

IIANM, the same kernel will sometimes detect the card correctly, and
sometimes incorrectly; this will make doing a bisection somewhat tricky.

Any suggestions, or further tests I should try, or information I should
provide?

Celejar